Sunday, July 30, 2006

SHANGHAI

Think Manhattan times a thousand with heat like Singapore. It is incomprehensible, really. Skyscrapers further than the eye can see in every direction. Yesterday Craig and I did some of the typical tourist things---saw the cool double-sphere tower, went to the largest mall in Shanghai (by accident, we were just looking for a place to get lunch with air con), and went to Shanghai Old Street. At one point I caught myself thinking "we must be in Chinatown" then realized it's all chinatown...duh.

In the tourist areas we were constantly being approached with greetings such as "Hello, watch, purse, Louis Vittion, Prada, many, right here" while being shown laminated flyers picturing various purses and watches. So far I've resisted the street solicitation, but when they say "Coach" I begin to drool. I'm at war with myself, because I don't believe in knockoffs, but, much like some women are seduced by shoes or the perfect boot (my shout out to Hilary), and men by a beautiful woman, fabulous bags can make me weak in the knees and willing to abandon (almost) all principle.

After the tourist destinations, we wandered around and quickly found ourselves in the other Shanghai. Places screaming to be photographed, but requiring much restraint as Craig also described on his blog. No one wants to be treated like they are in a "zoo." We tried to be respectful, and asked permission to photograph when appropriate. I was refused only once, by an elderly woman. The mops at the front of her home were beautiful in their way, but she shook her head.

I will try and post some photos, but have had some difficulty, so we'll see if it works.

1 comment:

aurora bender said...

or how about, "hello, hello, for you, very good price." i got that one a lot.