Wednesday, July 16, 2008

(Since writing this I have adjusted to Paris time, though still am amazed it is only just beginning to lose daylight at 10pm.)

SLEEPLESS IN PARIS

Wide awake again at 2-something a.m. Tonight I tried going without sleeping medication as the half-dose I took in the middle of the night last night encouraged me to slumber until after 12 noon! No wonder I am not tired now, you say! That and the fact my body still believes it to be in California where it is late afternoon. Which makes me wonder why they don’t have Judge Judy dubbed in French here……? If they do such heights of creativity as that supposed-reality-in-Laguna-Beach “The Hills” and “Family Guy” why why POURQUOI is there no “Judge Judy” here?

Lying in bed awake a bit ago I was SO THANKFUL to hear the high whine of a mosquito. Have I lost my mind? Not quite. Tonight is the fifth night in our apartment and on or about the third day I noticed bug bites on my legs and even one on my face. I became a bit creeped out as we are sleeping, eating, sitting, even drying off with things which are rented. Immediately I recalled the episode of Judge Judy where the family bought a NEW mattress, slept on it, got bitten all over and found it infested with BED BUGS!!---and we are sleeping eating sitting etc. on RENTAL furniture!

And so tonight may possibly be the first time I have ever found the sound of a mosquito whining in my ear to be a good thing.



Things I have yet to appreciate or be thankful for:
*stepping in dog poo
*dark hairs growing out of my chin
*the price of gas, and the fact we’re growing corn for fuel while much of Africa starves
*losing my mom

Should my jet lag continue I will be adding to this list, one of which will be “sleepless nights.”

No comments: