Sunday, April 22, 2007

On our second day in Praha we rode the subway to the area near Praha Castle, walked up the hill to it, then wandered through. It is more like a village than what I would normally think of as a castle...many impressive buildings rather than a single one. We then meandered back to the subway and took it to the old jewish section where we toured a synagogue and an ancient graveyard. Inside the synagogue many thousands of names have been hand painted on the walls as a remembrance of the tens of thousands (or more?) who were murdered during the Nazi era but for whom there is no grave. These names cover all the interior surfaces of the building, downstairs and up, and represent a small evidence of what we are capable of doing to one another.

Another section was a generous display of artwork, and a few toys, done by children during that era. What struck me the most about it was not the art but rather my own heart; the display room was not large, and many of us there were. I was ready to leave, and yet there were people shoulder to shoulder with me on every side. They were not concerned with getting out of my way, as I felt they should be. As I excused my way brusquely through, I was realizing how immediately my self interest manifests, and how I wish that were not the case were I REALLY put to a test...a real test, not just clueless people in my way at a holocaust museum.........Indications are not good......God help us all, me especially (or would saying "you especially" be less selfish? if so, then by all means, you first).

No comments: